[OSM-dev] Multilingual Maps Overlays

"Marc Schütz" schuetzm at gmx.net
Thu Nov 4 12:21:56 GMT 2010

(re-added CC to list)

> Thanks for the interesting discussion. I know it's a astonishingly
> borderless topic (see [1]).
> What I still have in mind is to be able to produce a map with local
> names (i.e. for preserving cultural heritage).
>
> So I think it's time to summarize:
>
> * As far as I understand, I have to take loc_name (like
> <loc_name:gsw="Züri">) besides of course <name="Zürich">.

As I said, I disagree with this interpretation. In my opinion the correct tagging for Zürich would be:

name=Zürich
name:gsw=Züri

An example for loc_name would be Luxembourg City, whose Luxembourgish name is "Lëtzebuerg", but which is called "d'Stad" (the city) by its inhabitants, both names being in Luxembourgish, of course. So the tagging would be:

name=??? (don't know, because there are three official languages)
name:lb=Lëtzebuerg
name:fr=Luxembourg
name:de=Luxemburg
loc_name=d'Stad (or alternatively loc_name:lb)

--
GRATIS! Movie-FLAT mit über 300 Videos.
Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome