[OSM-dev] changeset comment length limitation

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Tue Nov 9 07:43:54 GMT 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 03:55:15PM +1100, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> Why are changeset comments limited to 255 characters? I want to add a
> changeset comment longer than this, what should I do? I don't feel I
> should try to shorten it because then important documentation will be
> lost. Can the limit be increased?

All tags in the OSM database are currently limited to 255 characters. Having
a (comparably low) limit makes life easier for everybody using the data.

What is it that you want to store in the changeset that is so long? Can you
maybe put this extra information on a wiki page and just add a link to the
changeset or something like it?

Jochen