[OSM-dev] Is there a way to use simple schema without hstore

Andreas Kalsch andreaskalsch at gmx.de
Thu Nov 18 14:41:34 GMT 2010

It's always great to try something new, but we use Postgres as the database and it is SQL, where I
use tables. Somehow I feel forced to learn something I and others will not use very often. It is
better to be conservative about schemas. The problem: I have written some software that heavily
relies on the 0.36 simple schema. Now I have to use 0.36 and cannot use the new PBF format.
It would be good to be able to choose between hstore and the old schema that did my job very well.
What about GROUP BY over single hstore k/v pairs - is this possible? hstore feels like having a
table inside a cell ...

Am 18.11.10 14:00, schrieb Frank Broniewski:
Am 18.11.2010 10:18, schrieb Andreas Kalsch:
> Is there a way to use simple schema in Osmosis without hstore? And why
> was this changed? A separate table for tags can more easily be indexed.
> I think it is not a good idea to use hstore because then we can drop
> SQL, use NoSQL for storing data and use PostGIS/Postgres for Geometry only.
>
> What do you think?
> Best,
>
> Andi

Hello Andi,

You can create an index for the tags column. hstore supports gist and gin indexes and plus it saves
you a m:n join. And I don't see why using hstore data type is like using NoSQL? You can still
extract the tags into a seperate table, if you like of course ;-)

Frank