[OSM-dev] Tool to convert OSM ways into multi-point "segments"?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Nov 19 10:04:06 GMT 2010

I'm wanting to add a feature to Freemap (UK OSM-based hiking site) to allow users to tag individual trails with route descriptions, interesting features etc - with the eventual aim of allowing users to select a walking route and have a ready-made route description (note these descriptions will be stored in my own database... no need to worry about overloading OSM with this!)

However, to do this effectively I need to split ways at junctions, e.g. if a trail has 3 junctions it should be split into 4 multi-point "segments", because a walking route will consist of several of these segments in a line or loop. (The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe we should have kept segments - the only problem with them was that they were restricted to 2 points -but anyway....)

Anyway the crux of the matter is I'm wondering if anyone has a tool to do this already (to either write out an OSM file or write to a database) I could easily do one myself but obviously if there's something out there already I may as well use it.

Thanks,
Nick