[OSM-dev] Mapnik / General question on projection

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Fri Nov 19 21:50:51 GMT 2010

Andy Allan kirjoitti:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 5:58 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> First I must admit that I don't know much about projections, reference
>> systems and geodetic datums.
>>
>> I have recently experimented with homemade hillshading and contours,
>> and I found out by trying that my hillshade was fitting the contours
>> if I assumed it was in EPSG 3785 (I created the hillshading from SRTM
>> with Grass GIS and reprojected to an EPSG 900913 setting while the
>> contours were created with mapnik and srtm2osm).
>> By reading the EPSG documentation sheets it seems that 3785 and 3857
>> are not the same (the first uses a sphere, while the latter uses an
>> ellipsoid with inverse flattening of 298.257223563). EPSG says that
>> the ellipsoid-version is valid (and registered as 3857) while the
>> sphere is not. This results visually in quite some change on the map
>> if you mix it up.
>>
>> Therefor I thought that Mapnik's 900913 was equal to EPSG's
>> "non-valid" 3785 version with the sphere. (EPSG states: "Sphere with
>> radius equal to the semi-major axxis of the GRS80 and WGS84
>> ellipsoids. Used only for Web approximate mapping and visualisation.
>> Not recognised by geodetic authorities" --- on which I found some
>> comments ("EPSG is arrogant") in the web btw. who said it was
>> perfectly working with the sphere as well, even if not scientifically
>> correct).
>>
>> Now I found some docs in the OSM-Wiki that state we were using EPSG
>> 3857.
>>
>> My own tests indicate "we" are using the (not registered) "3785"
>> (sphere).
>>
>> Also this setting in mapnik/inc/entities.xml.inc indicates this:
>> <!ENTITY srs900913 "+proj=merc +a=6378137 +b=6378137 +lat_ts=0.0
>> +lon_0=0.0 +x_0=0.0 +y_0=0 +k=1.0 +units=m +nadgrids=@null +no_defs
>> +over">
>>
>> in generate_image.py I found this (seems that someone changed from
>> sphere to ellipsoid):
>>    # prj = mapnik.Projection("+proj=merc +a=6378137 +b=6378137
>> +lat_ts=0.0 +lon_0=0.0 +x_0=0.0 +y_0=0 +k=1.0 +units=m +nadgrids=@null
>> +no_defs +over")
>>    prj = mapnik.Projection("+proj=merc +a=6378137 +rf=298.257223563
>> +lat_ts=0.0 +lon_0=0.0 +x_0=0.0 +y_0=0 +k=1.0 +units=m +nadgrids=@null
>> +no_defs +over")
>>
>> can someone please tell me which datum is used by the mapnik and T at H
>> tile servers?
>
> I'm totally confused by your email, so bear with me.
>
> As far as I'm aware, 900913, 3785 and 3857 are all identical, and
> don't have the difference that you are describing above. From
> spatialreference.org
>
> http://www.spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/3785/
> http://www.spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/3785/proj4/
>
> http://spatialreference.org/ref/sr-org/6864/ (EPSG:3857)
> http://spatialreference.org/ref/sr-org/6864/proj4/
>
> From the proj4 project:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/browser/trunk/proj/nad/epsg

> [...]

Hi,

I asked this from gdal-dev list and this is what Frank Warmerdam wrote:

< Jukka,

< In EPSG:3785 web mercator was expressed as a normal Mercator 1SP
< projection on a spherical GCS.  However, this lost the fact that
< the lat/long coordinates you produced when unprojecting the mercator
< coordiantes were supposed to be treated as WGS84, not lat/long on the
< sphere.

< So that was deprecated and EPSG:3857 (it freaks me out that they are
< the same digits just rearranged!) was introduced.  This is based on
< WGS84, but they define a custom projection method "Popular Visualization
< Psuedo Mercator" which seems to have the spherical earth model for the
< projection algorithm "baked in", but is otherwise based on a normal
< WGS84 GCS.  This makes it easy for applications to understand that the
< unprojected coordinates are to be treated as WGS84.

< For what it's worth, GDAL has custom logic to treat them as equivalent.

Unfortunately I do not really understand the answer, but I suppose that if
gdal is recognising EPSG:3857 then it treats it right.

-Jukka Rahkonen-