[OSM-dev] Map data request returns 509 error

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Nov 29 15:47:01 GMT 2010

On 29/11/10 14:56, Yuliya Leonova wrote:

> Many map data requests today return "509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded" error
> (example of request -
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/map?bbox=-0.12021392583847046,51.507318443418946,-0.11342793703079224,51.50842360342262),
> saying "You have downloaded too much data. Please try again later."
>
> Do you know what is happening? It seems very many requests today are on OSM.
> No one mapping tool, except Potlach, works fine today.

It pretty much means exactly what it says - there are per-IP
restrictions on the rate at which data can be fetched with the map call.
They don't currently apply to Potlatch 1 which uses a different interface.

Nothing has changed in the limits we apply - they have been the same
since they were introduced several months ago.

You don't seem to be being throttled at the moment, though some of your
requests do seem to have been rejected earlier in the day.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/