[OSM-dev] Compression types in PBF Format

Tim Teulings tim at framstag.com
Tue Nov 30 09:45:48 GMT 2010

Hallo!

> Why this mentality? It is trivial to implement a decompression
> algorithm and some work better than others. Sounds like complaining
> about stuff you don't have to care about.

I would not implement decompression myself, I have better things to
do. Thus I would a library for this. A library however is a
dependency, that must be build installed and delivered (not all the
world runs Linux with smart packaging systems) and licences have to be
checked. It makes sense for teh developer to try to reduce such
dependencies by agreeing on one standard compression format.

--
Gruß...
    Tim