[OSM-dev] Compression types in PBF Format

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Nov 30 19:49:54 GMT 2010

Stefan,

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> This is the place for the 'too little, too late'. We are beyond the
> point of 'what' the bitstream should look like: you ought to handle what
> is defined now.

This is not how we work in OSM. We don't have standards. We can change
stuff at any time, and indeed I would not hesitate for a second to
change something in the PBF format if it turns out to repair a design
problem or bring great benefit. (If it were my call which it isn't.)

I really don't like your attitude. It's great that you took the time to
write pbf2osm but it seems you expect to be revered for it. You give the
impression of someone for whom coding something is only a means to climb
onto a platform from where he can heap spite onto others. (I remember
you derogatory comments about C++ while you wrote pbf2osm, and putting
comments like "osmosis devs failed to read the specs" in one's code is
not exactly a sign of maturity either.)

> Then you probably also noticed that it is still a (huge) open question
> to write a regression testsuite for all parsers and generators. And
> since the general opinion is now that nobody wants to move until there
> is a second implementation of osm2pbf (instead of actually switching),
> everyone is waiting this greatly annoys me and probably not only me but
> also the guy that actually took great effort to define the protocol and
> review code of others and answer questions.

What exactly is your problem? PBF is alive and kicking. I'm using both
Osmosis PBF support and your implementation of pbf2osm on a daily basis,
and many downstream users of Geofabrik do the same.

> I find it totally respectless that *you* are now doubting his qualities
> but didn't step forward when feedback was asked.

Excuse me, but discussing potential problems of a design is not a show
of lack of respect - unless presented in a form like the aforementioned
"osmosis devs failed to read the specs".

Bye
Frederik