[OSM-dev] Renderd problems.

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Sat Oct 2 17:03:05 BST 2010

Am 02.10.2010 14:28, schrieb Kai Krueger:
> On -10/01/37 20:59, Peter Körner wrote:
>> but renderd had a hard limit of 1000 tiles in the queue.
>
> On the main OSM tile server, I believe, that limit is still there as a
> feature rather than a bug.

Our starting point was that we have a very little filled disk-cache and
want to switch the whole German wikipedia traffic [1] to our own
tileserver. Because of that we have during the day times a very lot of
cache misses (we redirect the 404s to the main osm tileserver on the
javascript level). The number of cache misses reached far over the 1000
limit. We planned to have the server catch up during the night times but
for this to work we needed it to record all the misses that happened
during the day.

We've now gone another road: we took all the coordinates of all
wikimedia articles of interest (Tim did some magic filter foo here) and
threw it against tirex-batch before we switched the tile source over.
This way reduced the number of 404s drastically but even now the number
of dirty tiles in the queues was yesterday above 1400 [2].

Peter

[1]
<http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?pagename=London&language=de&params=51.50939_N_0.11832000000001_W_region:GB-LND_type:city(7512400)>

[2]