[OSM-dev] Data source for robot

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Oct 12 11:50:54 BST 2010

Peter,

Peter Budny wrote:
> If route relations are not required, then what are
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route#Road_Routes for?

There's two reasons why people do this.

One is that it allows them to easily access all ways that form a certain
road (simply request the relation and all members). This saves them from
having to use XAPI where they could put in a query for all objects
tagged ref=...; and I can understand why people want this but I still
think this is a misuse of relations (to overcome shortcomings in the
API). (See also the related albeit not identical
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Relations_are_not_Categories).

The second, and entirely legitimate, reason is when several routes use
the same road, so you cannot put a proper "ref" tag on the road (or you
would have to use the dreaded semicolon).

But if, as I suspect, your plan was merely to collect everything tagged
ref=<something> and then stuff that into a route relation called
<something>, that's not an added value in my book.

Bye
Frederik