[OSM-dev] Data source for robot

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Tue Oct 12 12:33:54 BST 2010

>> > My advice is not to do it; if it can be done automatically, route
>> > relations are not required
>>
>> If route relations are not required, then what are
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route#Road_Routes for?
>
> Good question. What are they for? I never understood that either. :-)

   I don't see route relations as even being useful for 'routers' - the best
routing algorithms out there such as OSRM today can quickly blaze a good
route today without even looking at route relations.   Adding physical
attributes such as maxspeed, lanes, width are much more useful for further
fine route tuning in the future.

  At best, they are a convenience to load all the ways of an entire named
'route' if someone wants to update them in the editor.