[OSM-dev] Data source for robot

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 16:55:25 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Relations are the cleaner solution here.  You /could/ accomplish the
>>> same thing with regular tags, but who wants to see symbol=*, symbol_1=*,
>>> symbol_2=*, etc. on every way in a city?  (Or worse, a giant symbol=*
>>> tag with semicolon-separated URLs?)
>>
>> Great. So the way to fix this is to first make the data consumed. I'd
>> suggest working on osm2pgsql so that it supports route relations
>> cleanly, as you've described. Then, you can sit back and let the
>> community take advantage of the new rendering system, and implement
>> route relations themselves in whichever fashion motivates them the
>> most.
>
> I'd love to work on that... later, when I'm not working
> 60-hour weeks trying to graduate.  Not right now.

Wait, so you haven't got the time to fix the problem properly, but
you've got the time to write and test a bot, and get agreement from
all the people who will be affected by it?

I think something is wrong here. If you are so short of time, then
back away from your automated edits before you break something.

Thanks,
Andy