[OSM-dev] API 0.7+: Split node concept?

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Tue Oct 12 21:31:40 BST 2010

  On 12/10/2010 20:45, Chris Browet wrote:
> I am wondering (I wonder a lot lately ;-)) if some have already given
> a thought to the fact that nodes actually represent 2 different
> concepts in the current api:
> - a node in the geometrical sense, i.e. used to define a linestring/way
> - a POI
True, but the difference between the two is just the presence or lack of
tags. It's not a complex technical difference.
> Seems to me that it would:
> - be less confusing, both for consumers and editors
An untagged node that's a member of a way is easy to test for, and can
be represented differently in any editing application just as easily as
a different primitive.
> - save db space
I'm not convinced this would be the case -- can you expand on how?
> - save memory/CPU cycle on the consumer side
Again, I can't immediately see this. Can you explain further?

I'd rather we (re-)implemented a proper area primitive in the next API
version -- I think that solves more problems.