[OSM-dev] OSM binary format (pbf) 1.0 is in osmosis trunk.

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Oct 17 20:04:18 BST 2010

Hi,

Stefan de Konink wrote:
>> (2) as a committer, I want it to be *my* decision whether I commit
>> something right away - in cases where I'm sure it is good - or whether I
>> want to discuss with others first. That's in keeping with the spirit of
>> OSM where you don't have to ask for permission to edit the map.
>
> If someone exposes peoples privacy, will his commits right be reverted?

Not a problem we've had in the past.

>> (3) as a user, I will have to hunt through mailing lists and whatnot and
>> compile the cryptic URLs of private repositories to pull from, rather
>> than having a one-stop shop.
>
> If it /is/ a one-stop shop, make svn accessible with the OSM
> credentials, just see what happens.

No, I think you misunderstood me. I am happy with the system as it is
now. I don't see a problem with it, and I don't see the need to change
it. It worked perfectly in the past, for me.

>> ... git may offer more
>> flexibility but compared with OSM where everyone gets SVN access...?
>
> So 'everyone' is not 'everyone' by default?

Don't mince words. Everyone who asks will get an account. I think that
git is much more control-freakish than the SVN we are operating (as you
seem to admit when you write "people can branch *my* code ... and send
it back"). This is not an attitude we have had in our SVN until now, and
I actually liked that. Some projects are outside SVN (e.g. JOSM), some
started outside and later migrated inside (Osmosis). Anything in our SVN
is owned not by a single maintainer but by the community. The idea
appeals to me.

> I thought by now there are svn2git bridges. So can we please not
> bikeshed about what kind of versioning system we use

I haven't asked you to stop using git - I have just said that I will
place a copy of your code in the OSM SVN for ease of use. I wouldn't
even use some fancy bridge for that - just pull it from git and commit
it to SVN.

> And the point is, if I release the pbf version of your tool... when can
> we make sure that people start caring about it?

I don't know what you mean by "my tool" (osm2pgsql isn't). But in case
you're talking about osm2pgsql - as soon as someone who types

svn co http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/export/osm2pgsql
cd osm2pgsql
debuild

gets an osm2pgsql Debian package that can process .osm.pbf files, people
will start to care. If, on the other hand, people have first download
and install the google libs, then get a pbf2osm library from some git
repository and compile it, and then modify the osm2pgsql build to
include some --with-pbf flag, then they won't care and rather continue
using .bz2 files.

Bye
Frederik