[OSM-dev] Disallowing certain characters in tag keys

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Oct 19 10:06:15 BST 2010

On 16/10/10 19:44, Jochen Topf wrote:

> I am currently fighting some issues where tags with strange characters in them
> need to be represented in a URL for Taginfo. Lots of other websites probably
> will have similar issues. Characters like /, ?,&, etc. have special meaning
> in URLs so if they appear in tags I can't have those tags in URLs. Sometimes
> escaping characters as %XX helps, sometimes not. And those problems are not
> confined to web pages and URLs only. Special characters that need escaping
> are often a problem.

I really don't understand the problem here - as far as I know all
characters can be used in URLs so long as they are properly escaped. If
your server software is not coping with that for some reason then I
think it's a bug.

As a test I just created a file called '<>&+?#;%.html' in an apache
served directory and then asked Firefox to fetch:

   http://server/%3c%3e%26%2b%3f%23%3b%25.html

and it was retrieved just fine.

Tom

--