[OSM-dev] Disallowing certain characters in tag keys

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Oct 19 11:54:44 BST 2010

On 19/10/10 10:25, Jochen Topf wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:06:15AM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> As a test I just created a file called '<>&+?#;%.html' in an apache
>> served directory and then asked Firefox to fetch:
>>
>>    http://server/%3c%3e%26%2b%3f%23%3b%25.html
>>
>> and it was retrieved just fine.
>
> And now try the same thing again creating a filename with a '/' in it and see
> whether it works this time. It doesn't, because '/' is special for Unix (and
> HTTP) and you need to create a directory with the first part of your name and
> then the second as file. If you would actually want to create one file for
> every key in the OSM database in your filesystem, you'd have a problem.

Sure if you have a slash then, for static files served from unix, that
would have to correspond to a directory separator. That's a unix file
naming limitation though.

In a dynamic application where you are decoding the path information
yourself and deciding what it means there is no such restriction.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/