[OSM-dev] Renderd + expire_list

Samir Faci (Dev) dev at esamir.com
Thu Oct 21 14:53:36 BST 2010

Thanks.  I tested it and works fine on my end.

while I was toying with mod_tile, I ended up pushing some minor
updates that were handy to me.

I'm not sure if anyone can use them.. but:

http://github.com/safaci2000/mod_tile/blob/sandbox/update
http://github.com/safaci2000/mod_tile/blob/sandbox/render_all

Thanks again for the fix.

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Lennard <ldp at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 20-10-2010 15:51, Samir Faci (Dev) wrote:
>
>> I was going to submit a patch... but I wanted to understand the
>> intended purpose of these changes.
>
> The intended purpose was to remove the need to setup rendering threads with
> renderd, when they wouldn't be used anyway.
>
>> it seems like the program flow now is to only render in combination
>> with touchFrom or deleteFrom.
>
> That's a bug. The default behaviour is to rerender tiles, and only when a
> suitable combination of min-zoom and touch-from/delete-from is given, to
> switch to those exclusively. I just committed a fix that does more explicit
> checking of these combinations.
>
> So, for example:
>
> Expire tiles z9 and up by setting their timestamp to the past. This causes
> mod_tile to issue a rerender the next time the expired tile is requested:
> --min-zoom=9 --touch-from=9
>
> Rerender tiles z8-11 and touch z12+. The lower zooms take much longer to
> render, so this rerenders those right away, while delaying rendering the
> higher zooms until someone actually looks at them.
> --min-zoom=8 --touch-from=12
>
> If you give no min-zoom/max-zoom (default is 0 and 18 respectively), and no
> touch-from/delete-from, it will go through all zooms and rerender them,
> based on the input file.
>
> --
> Lennard

Samir Faci
*insert title*
fortune | cowsay -f /usr/share/cows/tux.cow