[OSM-dev] [Marble-devel] NOTICE: gazetteer.osm.org being retired

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Wed Sep 1 14:26:14 BST 2010

> If you want to use an OSM service in one of your applications, then I
> would suggest firstly, and most importantly, that the application
> doesn't have a *.openstreetmap.org URL embedded anywhere in the code.

Come on. Does that mean that we cannot use "www.openstreetmap.org/api" to
update the database?
That "tile.openstreetmap.org" can disappear in 2 weeks time?

While I agree it shouldn't be hardcoded, I don't see right now how to make a
difference between a "not supported/endorsed/can disappear anytime"
openstreetmap.org service and "stable" ones...