[OSM-dev] [Marble-devel] NOTICE: gazetteer.osm.org being retired

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Thu Sep 2 15:20:06 BST 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 15:54, Jonathan Bennett <
openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk> wrote:

>  On 01/09/2010 22:33, Chris Browet wrote:
>
>> For myself:
>> - Considering the reactions, maybe avoid as much as possible to use
>> openstreetmap.org <http://openstreetmap.org> services, but anyway be sure
>> it fails gracefully.
>>
> Chris,
>
> If you're talking in your role as a maintainer of Merkaartor, then the
> fails gracefully bit is a good idea, but you don't need to avoid using the
> services. Mappers editing the data are the intended audience for the
> services on openstreetmap.org, so Merkaartor is meant to be using them.

Thanks for confirming this. However, the original problem is the same, be it
Merkaartor or a "third-party". If the OSM services can disappear in a snap,
it's no real fun for me to develop support for it nor for the end-users to
be confronted to an non-working functionality...

But If everyone agrees that an announcement of ~3 months should be foresee
before a service termination (time to fix and deploy a new version, and some
time for the new version to propagate), it's OK for me.

- Chris -
- Chris -