[OSM-dev] [Marble-devel] NOTICE: gazetteer.osm.org being retired

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 10:14:26 BST 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab at gmail.com>wrote:

> > You'd want me to spend $12 a day to provide geolocalisation for an
> > OSM editor (if you didn't read the thread, I remind you I'm speaking
> > of Merkaartor)!!??
>
> What sort of crazy hosting costs $360 per month (asking Nic Roets)? I

I said $12 a day for a server that can provide a decent routing service.
(EC2 High Memory Instance).

The kernel.org analogy is not really valid. They don't call themselves the
"wiki kernel". When I hack a kernel for an embedded project running on
specialized hardware, they certainly are interested in my changes.

By contrast, we will accept users who come in and make a few changes,
spending as little as 10 minutes. So we need to make the environment as
friendly as possible.