[OSM-dev] Q regarding export by RoadMap

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 22:20:19 BST 2010

Hello Danny,

The Api/0.6 is used by editor software like JOSM because it always has
the most up-to-date data. That quality does come at a price though: A
big Xeon server with 32GB of RAM and many discs. I'm not sysadmin, but
I suspect they are starting to clamp down on non-editors using this
valuable resource.

There are however a large number of alternatives to the api: XAPI and
TRAPI servers will give near real-time data. Cloudmade & Geofabrik
offer. You can even make your own extracts using tools like osmosis
and bboxSplit on a weekly or even daily basis.