[OSM-dev] OSM coastline on PostGIS + MapRenderer?

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 18:37:35 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 08:39 -0700, Mulone wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I imported the OSM data for Ireland in my postGIS db.
> I noticed that there is no coastline, which isn't great to render an island.
> Is there a way to get an XML file containing the coastline and import it
> into postGIS?

I'd suggest you download the coastline shapefiles:

http://tile.openstreetmap.org/processed_p.tar.bz2 (357 MB)
http://tile.openstreetmap.org/shoreline_300.tar.bz2 (48 MB)

Then you can choose whether to render the shapefile directly or import
them it PostgreSQL. The shoreline_300 data has been simplified so that
it can be rendered more efficiently at lower zooms. The polygons in both
shapefiles have been gridded into squares with some overlap.

   Jon