[OSM-dev] New OSM binary fileformat implementation.

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Sep 17 07:33:07 BST 2010

Mike,

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi, ist there any documentation of the binary format changes?
> I have implemented a c++ reader using protobuf, would update that if
> there is a new format spec.

It would be great if you could check whether your reader still works
with the current implementation, and then I'd be extremely grateful for
some sort of minimal package that contains only your reader and the
stuff absolutely necessary to build it - I've checked out your
http://github.com/h4ck3rm1k3/OSM-Osmosis but ended up with a tree that
contained half (or al?) of Osmosis and lots of autoconf cruft but wasn't
buildable for me because it expected Google protobuf stuff to be
downloaded and installed separately and I didn't know what to get and
where to install it!

Background is, I would like to add binary format support to osm2pgsql
and was hoping to be able to use your code for that.

Scott, it would be great if apart from a name for the new binary format
you'd also recommend a default file extension since some of our tools
try to auto-detect the file format from the name (.osm.bz2, .osm.gz,
.osm - maybe .osm.bin for the new stuff?).

Bye
Frederik