[OSM-dev] SEO for OSM data?

Jaak Laineste jaak.laineste at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 09:49:08 BST 2010

 What about making OpenStreetMap more visible in Google search. For
this one way would be to make text-based data browser view, which is
search engine optimized (SEO). Create dynamic hierarchical links
starting from www.openstreetmap.org to each of the named items. So
Google crawler could see link "Data browser" in start page, and the
next levels would be basic HTML-pages like:
1) List of continents -> osm.org/Europe
2) List of countries  -> osm.org/Europe/Estonia
3) List of cities -> osm.org/Europe/Estonia/Tartu
4) List of all the named data objects: -> osm.org/Europe/Estonia/Tartu/Atlantis
5) View object details, so the last level would be alias to current
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/334475424 page, with
additional geotags.

 Target would be that if someone will search for "Atlantis, Tartu",
then one of the top matches in Google would be the OSM item page, so
everyone can then use to edit it, view the location etc. Also Google
Image search should find image of the surroundings right from this
page.

 With this Google would index OSM planet, and we would get more
visibility and more local micro-contributors.

It seems to me not too hard to be coded, but would it make really sense?

--
Jaak