[OSM-dev] Release candidate for OSM binary format is in osmosis trunk.

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Sep 22 08:17:10 BST 2010

Hi,

Kai Krueger wrote:
>> Easy to do - just download the .osm.pbf and run
>> osmosis --read-bin country.osm.pbf --write-xml country.osm

> May I suggest it be run on planet.openstreetmap.org then as part of the core
> services alongside the regular full planet dump?

Making the excerpts basically occupies a whole big machine for half a
day. It might be possible to do it on a weekly basis on
planet.openstreetmap.org (not my call though) but very unlikely to be
run daily.

What's your use case for .osm.bz2 assuming that osm2pgsql, osmosis, and
mkgmap support the new format, and that anyone with Osmosis+Java
installed can produce a .osm file from a .osm.pbf in less time than it
takes to unpack an .osm.bz2 (and with 20% less data transfer volume)?

Creating the .bz2 stuff is very expensive. Once I ditch .bz2 I might be
able to add more countries and bring back the North America extracts.
I'm really keen on doing that but if there is an important reason why
.bz2 has to stay that I have overlooked - say it.

Bye
Frederik