[OSM-dev] How to get non-technical users easily editing (offline)?

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 13:37:15 BST 2010

  On 22/09/2010 11:10, Sam Wilson wrote:
> Unfortunately, this all has to work offline, so Potlatch can't help
> me.  But really, that idea of limiting an editor to a specific set of
> tags (etc.) seems great; anyone know if one of the offline editors
> would lend itself to that sort of thing?

As with JOSM, Merkaartor can take custom tag templates, which make
entering data for specific tags easier, and they appear above the
free-form tag entry fields. Merkaartor also allows you to customise the
map rendering from within the application (no file editing). However, it
does need installing, as opposed to JOSM's drop-in operation.

If you're interested in trying Merkaartor, I can come up with a couple
of simple examples, or pop into the Merkaartor mailing list.

Jonathan