[OSM-dev] How to get non-technical users easily editing (offline)?

Sam Wilson sam at archives.org.au
Thu Sep 23 06:52:33 BST 2010

  On 2010-09-22 8:37 PM, Jonathan Bennett wrote:
>  On 22/09/2010 11:10, Sam Wilson wrote:
>> Unfortunately, this all has to work offline, so Potlatch can't help
>> me.  But really, that idea of limiting an editor to a specific set of
>> tags (etc.) seems great; anyone know if one of the offline editors
>> would lend itself to that sort of thing?
>
> As with JOSM, Merkaartor can take custom tag templates, which make
> entering data for specific tags easier, and they appear above the
> free-form tag entry fields. Merkaartor also allows you to customise
> the map rendering from within the application (no file editing).
> However, it does need installing, as opposed to JOSM's drop-in operation.
>
> If you're interested in trying Merkaartor, I can come up with a couple
> of simple examples, or pop into the Merkaartor mailing list.
>
> Jonathan

I've been testing with Merkaartor, and the operations manager is jolly
impressed.  So it looks like we'll just be setting up the field
assessors with OSM accounts, and getting them to record all information
they think is useful.  Then, the field maintenance crews will simply
have OSM maps on their Garmins in the trucks, and all is done!

My ideas to make editing simpler were misplaced, it seems. :-)