[OSM-dev] Release candidate for OSM binary format is in osmosis trunk.

Scott Crosby scrosby at cs.rice.edu
Thu Sep 23 13:49:40 BST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:13 AM, VeaaC FDIRCT <veaac.fdirct at gmail.com>wrote:

> Any idea when a final version of the file format will be available?

The design of the format is done and the spec is described on the wiki. That
is final.

The implementation has one bug fix to the shared jar that I need to push
before I declare it 1.0 and done. (My jar rejects files with FileBlocks
>8mb, the spec says the limit is 32mb.) I am also renaming the jar to
something like osm-pbfbin.

I'm hoping to push that and some small tweaks to osmosis this weekend.

If you're using Java, just be ready to pick up the new jar in a few days. If
you're writing C/C++, you might want to coordinate with Stefan, who said he
would write a C/C++ to XML converter if nobody else did. A large chunk of
the design is application independent and should be shared between
applications.

Scott