[OSM-dev] osm2shp reloaded

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Sep 23 20:33:52 BST 2010

Hi,

    I've uploaded an all-new osm2shp to SVN (utils/export). It's done in
C, it is quite fast, and versatile if you can write a few basic C
statements (doesn't use a config file but code dealing with the
shapefile set-up is neatly packed in its own source file). It can
process large files (not tried on full planet but does all of Europe
with ease).

It is the same program I'm using to create the .shp.zip files on the
download.geofabrik.de web site, and more or less a re-write of Jochen's
Ruby osmlib export.

It doesn't do relations however (and therefore no multipolygons either).

I've taken the liberty of simply removing the old osm2shp from SVN (last
modified in 2007) because I didn't think anyone was using it any more
and I wanted the cool name for myself.

Bye
Frederik