[OSM-dev] Using osmosis to generate a full-planet.osm file

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Apr 7 08:30:02 BST 2011

Scott,

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 22:06:57 -0500
> I believe the osmosis database representation for a planet is not the
> same as what is used by osm servers. OSM servers use a special dump
> program for generating planets.

I think Eric was talking about the history planets,
not the normal planet files. Neither of these is created with Osmosis
as far as I know but I'm not sure what software is used for the full
history dumps.

> However, you can test your code
> against geofabrik extracts. If it works there, it should work on an
> entire planet.

If you want a good simulation of a history planet, you could download
the history of a few ways and the history of all nodes involved and
glue that together...

Bye
Frederik