[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql slow on update import

Markus Wagner markus at mwagner.info
Fri Apr 8 13:05:07 BST 2011

> Seconded.  I have my database on a RAID1 pair of 5.4K RPM drives (which
> gives me a speed up in reads and data redundancy, but seems about the same
> as a single disk in terms of writes) and am using PostgreSQL 9.0.  Before
> the fastupdate patch, one minute of diffs took between 2 and 5 minutes to
> apply.  Now my system can keep up with the diffs easily despite constant
> rendering on both of the CPU's cores.

Hm,
considering this, it should be possible to keep up on a single disk -
or at least be closer to realtime.
Would you mind to mail me your postgresql configuration? Maybe I have
some serious setup screw-ups here...

Is there some analyzing or vacuuming which would yield serious improvements!?

Thank y'all so far!
Markus