[OSM-dev] Some advice for a new OSM client

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 01:45:56 BST 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> It still amazes me how many app developers have made the functioning of
> their paid-for app entirely dependent on what someone (OSM) decides to do
> with a third-party server.

Clearly some developers think about it at all. But some developers may
reason that OSMF is getting something from it: The most obvious choice
would be exposure that OSMF then tries to translate into productive
edits and perhaps even donations. After all, Google served tiles for
free when serving map tiles were much more expensive (NT / TA license
and hosting costs when they launched 6 years ago).

Now OSMF can use this type of analysis to redesign the Tile Usage
Policy. All you are really aiming for is (a) preventing increases in
tile requests faster than procurement of servers and (b) maintaining a
good tile request to edit ratio.

(a) is not a problem because of the negative feedback loop.

And (b) can be achieved with by simply placing a limit on the number
of tiles served to a single IP address in a single day. If you can
convince a user to start editing after serving him 20MB of tiles,
you're most like not going to convince him with 100 MB of tiles.