[OSM-dev] libosmpbf

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Thu Apr 14 14:03:00 BST 2011

Hi Jochen,

On 14.04.2011, at 12:10, Jochen Topf wrote:
> To make the PBF stuff from Scott easier to use from C++ I have added a Makefile
> and Debian config in my fork at https://github.com/joto/OSM-binary . This gives
> you a /usr/lib/libosmpbf.a and the include files in /usr/include/osmpbf. If you
> use Debian/Ubuntu you can have it all in a libosmpbf-dev package.

I see that you changed the license of the proto files to LGPL. I already mailed Scott a few weeks ago about the license and asked him if he could remove the GPL header since IMO it doesn't make sense to use a copyleft license in a proto buf file. First, it is not software but a data format description that get transformed into code and second, it is a specification which should be licensed more liberal. I would prefer CC0.

Did you talked with Scott about the license?

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Tonnhofer    | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG    | http://omniscale.de