[OSM-dev] A new "object" element?

Ben Supnik bsupnik at xsquawkbox.net
Thu Apr 14 21:59:48 BST 2011

Hi Josef,

WRT both your comment about a real 'object' construct and a 'dependency'
construct:

If polygons/multipolygons/areas were implemented as their own 'first
class' construct in the OSM data model (and not as a relation of ways),
would this change your view on these things?

IMHO (worth less than the cost of email) the real outlier in the OSM
data model is the use of relations as areas.  I find it to be a bit
strange because:

1. It's a very specific, highly constructed spatial relationship that
exists as a semantic overlay on another bit of syntax.  (I would suggest
that the rules for multi-polygon are more strict and fundamental than
other spatial relationships like groups of ways that make up a highway
system.)

2. It's sort of an odd-ball relation, that is, a multipolygon isn't
really a relation at all, it's an area.

There are some wiki pages:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/The_Future_of_Areas

that discuss this.  My reaction to your posts was: _if_ we had real area
primitives then...

1. There'd be no need for a separate dependency, because relations would
be that dependency, and a relation would never be an "object" and

2. It would be clear what is an object...a way, node, or area is an object.

Or something like that.

I've been meaning to post a rant^H^H^H^Hconstructive critique of the
area/multipolygon situation since I just fixed a bunch of bugs in my own
polygon reconstruction code over the last 48 hours (and was reminded of
how exciting reconstructing multipolygons correctly can be :-).

cheers
Ben

Scenery Home Page: http://scenery.x-plane.com/
Scenery blog: http://www.x-plane.com/blog/