[OSM-dev] Relation - Multipolygon = "Area"

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Apr 19 12:53:45 BST 2011

Ben,

On 04/19/11 13:29, Ben Supnik wrote:
>> You explain "building=yes" as meaning "is it filled?", when in reality
>> it is completely up to the renderer whether or not to fill an object
>> that is tagged to be a building.
>
> Wait, I don't think I agree with this. That is, to me, the question of
> whether a 'thingie' in OSM is an area thingie or a line thingie should
> _not_ be up to the visualization layer.

It's a two-step thing. Of course you should be able to map the building
and say "this is an area". But the renderer might *still* choose not to
render it as an area (think e.g. of certain kinds of airspace which are
areas but you will usually only render the outline).

Bye
Frederik

PS: Not that we want to map airspace. I just found it a fitting example
given where you're hailing from.