[OSM-dev] Relation - Multipolygon = "Area"

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Tue Apr 19 14:15:00 BST 2011

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Ben,
>
> On 04/19/11 13:29, Ben Supnik wrote:
>>> You explain "building=yes" as meaning "is it filled?", when in reality
>>> it is completely up to the renderer whether or not to fill an object
>>> that is tagged to be a building.
>>
>> Wait, I don't think I agree with this. That is, to me, the question of
>> whether a 'thingie' in OSM is an area thingie or a line thingie should
>> _not_ be up to the visualization layer.
>
> It's a two-step thing. Of course you should be able to map the building
> and say "this is an area". But the renderer might *still* choose not to
> render it as an area (think e.g. of certain kinds of airspace which are
> areas but you will usually only render the outline).

I would say that it is still rendered as an area but the fill is
transparent and only outline coloured. Which brings to my mind another
smallish problem with big real world area features which has been splitted
to smaller areas so that they can be handled in OSM. If you want to render
them with fill and outline the split lines come visible on the map.

-Jukka Rahkonen-