[OSM-dev] Relation - Multipolygon = "Area"

Ben Supnik bsupnik at xsquawkbox.net
Tue Apr 19 19:04:31 BST 2011

Hi Igor,

On 4/19/11 1:53 PM, Igor Brejc wrote:

> The way I plan to solve this is to leave to the user to tell the
> renderer what kind of a feature she wants to draw and how to
> construct the feature from OSM primitives. So for example:
>
> * "Draw me a road network using OSM ways tagged with highway=motorway
> OR highway=trunk" * "Draw me simple polylines using OSM ways tagged
> with power=line"
>
> Sometimes you want to avoid excessive feature compositing because of
>  performance reasons, so I'd leave the decision to the user.

Wait, I'm sorry, I think I missed something here. :-(  The above
examples, these are instructions to 'rendering' clients, right, e.g.
"this is how you do your rendering given an input pile of OSM data"?

Or...

> I'm more and more convinced something better is needed: OSM
> primitives represent parts of the higher-level features and should be
> treated as such.

Ah but...the higher level features are not actually _in_ the OSM
database?  (That is, their existence is derived via reconstruction rules
like the above?)  The "reconstruction rules" wouldn't be global, they'd
be per usage, right?

cheers
ben

--