[OSM-dev] XAPI and other solutions

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sun Apr 24 19:59:19 BST 2011

Hi Pierre,

As far as XAPI servers go I have given up for now, although MapQuest is
running a more reliable instance[1] that may be useful, although they employ
Ian's Java implementation as well so the same bbox limitations likely apply.

I am, in fact, working on a similar project in the Netherlands and for an
up-to-date data feed for CCTV cameras I use the process described here[2].
I'd love to compare that to your approach, we can probably benefit from each
other's work.

Best
Martijn

[1] http://developer.mapquest.com/web/products/open/xapi
[2]
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1paaYsOakgJEYP380R70s4SGYq8ME3ASl-mweVi1DlQ4

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Pierre-Alain Dorange <pdorange at mac.com>wrote:

> Hi, i'm a french contributor and i look for advice for a project.
>
> I'm processing free french city official data (from insee, official stat
> agency) and i have to match those city with osm city (place=*) to
> geolocalize it on a map.
> The project is to present cctv surveillance in the country (see demo at
> [1]).
>
> To get those data and preprocess them i used XAPI to retrive all nodes
> with tag place=* :
>
> The result is fine but XAPI servers are randomly running and data seems
> old. New Java XAPI servers do not accept the bounding box : too large.
>
> What are the best way to retrieve OSM raw data (xml format would be
> preferable) to update regulary the project's data ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1] project demo
> http://www.leretourdelautruche.com/map/cctv/cctv_map.php
>
> These map show city global data (user contributions) and individual cctv
> camera localisation (from OSM man_made=surveillance) when you zoom to a
> city with cctv mapped (ie. Strasbourg) :
> <http://www.leretourdelautruche.com/map/cctv/cctv_map.php?zoom=15&lat=48
> .5831&lon=7.75238&layers=B0T<http://www.leretourdelautruche.com/map/cctv/cctv_map.php?zoom=15&lat=48%0A.5831&lon=7.75238&layers=B0T>
> >

> --
> Pierre-Alain Dorange