[OSM-dev] Paging the tile server admins

NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de
Wed Apr 27 09:29:08 BST 2011

Hi!

Paging the admins of the OSM tile servers. I'd like to get in touch about
the topic of mass downloaders. It appears that some problems first become
visible on small tile servers like my own, but hit the main tile servers a
while later, so it might be a good thing to share experiences. E.g. MOABC
was an issue for my server in december and had to be blocked on the main
servers about three months later.

A few days ago a new mass downloading application has appeared on my server,
already causing tile requests in the order of millions with up to 600000
tiles for a single client. The user agent is "Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1" which indicates some sort of handy software, but a
search in the net brought up no clues as to what exactly this might be. Do
you have any suggestions?

bye
                    Nop