[OSM-dev] How to Increase the Limit of Inodes

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Fri Aug 5 12:27:51 BST 2011

On 5 August 2011 10:29, Parveen Arora <mail at parveenarora.in> wrote:

> I am using ubuntu 10.04 and ext4 file system.
> Now I want to know that how this problem can be Solved or how to
> increase the number of inodes or how openstreetmap manages it for all
> the world.

Are you using metatiles? tile.osm.org (yevaud) do not separately store
individual tiles on the filesystem.
You cannot increase the number of available inodes on an existing
filesystem. An ugly hack would be to create a suitable sized loopback
filesystem and specify type "news" when creating fs. eg: "mkfs.ext4 -T
news"

yevaud
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/sdb             597562544 38961127 558601417    7% /tiles
/dev/sdc             585937408 6512370 579425038    2% /tiles-low