[OSM-dev] slow diff updates / FASTUPDATE / osm2pgsql bug

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Mon Aug 8 08:26:06 BST 2011

Hi Frederik,

I'm running minutely updates on south-east asia. The DB is comparably
small. After I did this:

On 07.08.2011 21:19, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> DROP INDEX planet_osm_ways_nodes;
> DROP INDEX planet_osm_rels_parts;
> CREATE INDEX planet_osm_ways_nodes ON planet_osm_ways USING gin (nodes)
> WITH (fastupdate=off);
> CREATE INDEX planet_osm_rels_parts ON planet_osm_rels USING gin (parts)
> WITH (fastupdate=off);

It took some minutes, but then looked fine.

The last night it seams import gets stuck. postgres is spending a lot of
time in "UPDATE".

Either there is something missing or fastupdate=off is a bad idea for
some systems. Before it worked not too bad.
I have a cronjob doing cleanup work including a vacuum which usually
completes in minutes. The last night it spent there two hours.

I'm reverting the index to the default now...

Stephan