[OSM-dev] Proposal for OpenMetaMap - proper OSM import solution

Mike N niceman at att.net
Mon Aug 15 22:26:59 BST 2011

On 8/15/2011 4:57 PM, Jaak Laineste wrote:
> But it is not plain "banning imports", it is to provide alternative
> tool (I call it OpenMetaMap) which enables to link various external
> data sources with OSM data, with much better flexibility than with
> current import approach.

I like the idea.  A remaining challenge is how to update links to an
external data source when the OMM data is refreshed.

Also it might require that map editors deal with complexity:

  1. Take a survey
  2. Add a "museum POI" from the survey.   Now there is an external
museum POI source to be aware of.   Is mine a duplicate?   Should I add
to OMM instead of OSM?  How to learn of all these other types of items
that may exist in the area just surveyed?

   This might not be appropriate for all imports.   Everyone likes to
point to problems in the TIGER dataset, but in areas where it has been
adopted by the community, it has become a first class dataset in its own
right.  It would not work as an OMM dataset in my opinion, except
serving as an alternate source of data for adding to the primary OSM map.