[OSM-dev] OSMF Engineering Working Group inauguration

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 05:21:00 BST 2011

Hi,

as I in the end wasn't able to attend the irc meeting (got busy at
work), I will write down my thoughts to the topics discussed today.

* Barriers for entry for getting started:

I agree that if setting up a development environment is too complicated
it will stop contributers (e.g. it has stopped me from trying to
contribute some minor i18n patches to P2), but I don't think the
situation is that bleak for the rails_port.

At lest on a standard Ubuntu installation, I thought the step by step
installation instructions were actually quite good and accurate. And so
even though it might take a while to go through all the steps, it wasn't
too difficult.

So the question is what part do people find too difficult/tedious? Is it
that people use other operating systems / distributions, for which there
are no instructions? Are there simply too many steps in the process for
people to bother? Do the steps not work under some conditions? Do people
not find the existing documentation?

The second aspect that didn't get mentioned during the irc meeting is
that there is the osm dev server environment. Once you have a dev server
account with db access, setting up a rails_port instance is actually
pretty easy. You basically only need to download the source, extract it
in a directory and update a few config files and you have a working
rails_port instance up and running in your home directory with which you
can experiment. All the dependencies on rails and gems have already been
taken care of so you don't need to worry.

Are there things that can be done to make this resource even easier?
Easier account creation? Better advertisement that this resource exists?

* Motivation to contribute

Given that currently pretty much everyone is working on coding in their
spare time for free, imho having some form of (non monetary) reward to
motivate people to put in the effort to contribute is important. Usually
this is in form of seeing your code deployed and getting positive
feedback from the users that they very much enjoy the feature.

For the first part (and partially second part) having a list of "top ten
features / bugs that developers want help with" would possibly be a good
start. If a feature is on that list, and the patch is reasonable, then
hopefully chances of getting it deployed would be high. (and chances of
getting told it is a stupid idea and will never get deployed anyway,
lower). It also provides ideas for people who might want to help
development, but might currently not have great ideas them selves.

With respect to the criticism voiced in the irc meeting, that such a
list would likely be outdated and useless, well, recruiting new
developers does require a bit of effort and if we can't even put the
effort in to keep a list of top 10 wanted features up-to-date, perhaps
it is not surprising that not many people start contributing to the
rails_port.

The second part of the motivation "getting positive feedback from the
users that the new features are appreciated" is perhaps much harder to
solve. One possible way though would be to have a user oriented feature
wish list a la uservoice (or better to say an open source equivalent).
If a feature has e.g. a thousand up-votes and is the top _feasible_
feature on that list, I'd be a lot more motivated to spend my weekends
coding that feature / enhancement / bug fix than if I don't know if
anyone would even care about the patch or if the community would even
think it is rubbish. But perhaps there are better ways of obtaining that
feedback.

But overall, it seems like it was a reasonable  productive first meet
for the EWG.

Kai