[OSM-dev] Proposal for OpenMetaMap - proper OSM import solution]

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Sat Aug 27 11:04:19 BST 2011

Hi,

That's true, given that the organisations maintaining the Inspire WFS
services are willing to support OSM as an additional outputformat. I
suppose the one I know best will not do it. That dataset, by the way, is
an example of data that would probably suit better for using from the
original source instead of importing it to OSM. Is has 1.3 million
polygons, size as a compressed shapefile is more than 300 MB when the
current Finland.osm.bz2 is 150 MB. In addition, more that 50000 of those
1.3 million polygons are edited yearly. Fresh data are always available
from a service and the (unclear) license is either attribution only or
perhaps PD. The dataset I mean is "fields" in this link

http://www.paikkatietoikkuna.fi/web/en/map-window?zoomLevel=6&coord=315540_6788210&mapLayers=75_1_2_3_76_4_5_6_7+40+!default!,77+100+,54+100+,61+100+&showMarker=false&forceCache=true

As you can see from a link, we are utilising OSM data as a part of our
Spatial Data Infrastructure. The selection list on the left contains more
than 100 other SDI datasets. Some of them like Corine landuse are already
imported into OSM. I would say unfortunately because the real value of OSM
data is in user contributions.

-Jukka Rahkonen-