[OSM-dev] Proposal for OpenMetaMap - proper OSM import solution

Jaak Laineste jaak.laineste at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 11:23:09 BST 2011

2011/8/18 Peter Körner <osm-lists at mazdermind.de>:
> Am 18.08.2011 11:41, schrieb Jaak Laineste:
>>
>> This was quite simple. More complex is when I do not add any new data
>> compared to the external source, just confirm it. Then I have to make
>> a choice:
>> a) I am happy that the object is already "in the cloud" and on the map
>> - I do nothing.
>
> Will it be in the planet.osm? If not, how are tile-providers are supposed to
> draw an icons for museums?

It will not be in planet.osm. Planet.osm will be clean of external sources.

> Yes, they may download and use the external source; some will, some won't,
> some will only once; some will update regularly. Some tile-sources may have
> all museums, some only the ones copied to osm.

Right - if tile renderer does not load data from external sources,
they will not have it. This is their choice. Taking data from external
sources would not be hard: you just update your osm2pgsql app with the
one with OMM support, and add flag --include-external-sources during
import.

 I am a bit more worried about probability that some of the external
sources are not available from time to time, temporarily or even
permanently. To solve this I see three options:
a) live with it, contact providers to provide stable API
b) cache external data in OSM/OMM central cache/backup service. At
least sources which allow caching
b) create weekly planet-with-externals.osm.pbf file, which would be in
principle same as cache (more precisely proxy), just all-in-one and
easier/quicker to use. This would even work also with old osm2pgsql.

--
Jaak