[OSM-dev] Osm2pgsql and failed planet import

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 10:50:44 BST 2011

On 27 August 2011 03:18, Francisco.Matamala
<francisco.matamala at weblakes.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>  I've been attempting to perform a planet import for mapnik rendering for
> the past few weeks without success.  I've setup my PostGreSQL database with
> PostGis correctly, including the various parameter tweaks.  I setup
> PostGreSQL on a separate Windows Server 2008 box with 8GB RAM, in order to
> separate processes and not have osm2pgsql have missing memory issues.  This
> box has plenty of space for the final database.
>
>  I setup a virtual box on our virtualization server using a CentOS
> distribution, obtained osm2pgsql from source, turned on the 64bit
> compilation flags and compiled it.  This virtual box has 16GB memory.

osm2pgsql doesn't have any code to check for memory allocation
failures and to deal with it in a sane way, it just assumes all
allocations are fine until it checks the nodes when going over pending
ways etc. Anthony posted a patch a couple of months back, I didn't
hear if the patch was added to the svn version(s).