[OSM-dev] Osm2pgsql and failed planet import

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Aug 30 19:47:50 BST 2011

Hi,

On 08/30/2011 07:43 PM, Martijn van O wrote:
>> The error message discussed here is not a segfault, but an out of memory
>> condition reported by the PostgreSQL client library. It has nothing to do
>> with osm2pgsql's own memory allocation.
>
> This indicates the code should be changed to retrieve the data in
> blocks using a cursor.

Yes, that would be fixing the symptom. But the heart of the problem
seems to be (as you said yourself a while ago in this discussion) that
the whole "dirty mark" scheme should not really be used during an
initial import at all, or should it?

I guess this needs some thorough investigation and I always hoped that
someone more familar with that part of the code (hint, hint) would find
the time to have a look ;)

Bye
Frederik