[OSM-dev] speeding up loading an OSM dump into PostGIS?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Dec 1 12:51:39 GMT 2011

>Yes, I'd like the whole rendering stack to become more lightweight, at least
>for small extracts, so that more people can play with rendering their own
>tiles, either on their home laptop/desktop or on fairly cheap servers.

Absolutely. A custom rendering server needs to be able to run on low-spec hardware, as not-for-profit projects simply cannot afford to pay expensive hosting fees. It's certainly something that should be striven for as I suspect that financial constraints are much more of an issue for the OSM community than know-how - more of a barrier, for instance, than the physical process of setting up a PostGIS database, setting up Mapnik, etc.

Nick