[OSM-dev] Merkaator port to Android

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 13:13:00 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Jaak Laineste <jaak.laineste at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>  as you may now, during GSoC QGIS was ported to Android tablets
> (http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/QGIS_Mobile_GSoC_2011).
> Merkaator has technically same base elements: Qt, GEOS, PROJ.4 etc, so
> based on this experience porting of Merkaator could be also possible
> with much smaller fuss. It should be even smaller work than getting
> JOSM working under Android.
>
>  Question: do you know anyone who really would need and use it?

Jaak,

Porting JOSM to Android would be an interesting academic task, but several
problems lead me to believe it would not be useful for general use:

- java.awt is nowhere to be found on Android. JOSM's rendering engine would
have to be completely re-written.
- javax.swing is nowhere to be found on Android. JOSM's UI system would
have to be completely re-written.
- JOSM's UI is based on menus and keyboard shortcuts. These don't have good
analogs in Android and would have to be re-thought.

I'd much rather see the time spent solving these problems put towards a
general purpose editor that is specifically designed for a tablet. Maybe
something general enough that an iOS and Android developer could use the
same design with platform-specific tweaks.