[OSM-dev] Using pgRouting

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sun Dec 4 10:12:57 GMT 2011

Hi,

Bit of background: my Freemap site (free-map.org.uk) allows people to generate self-describing walking routes by drawing a route on the slippy map using the OpenLayers vector drawing tool. Some server-side code then works out which geometries in the underlying PostGIS DB make up the way.

This (mostly) works but is slow/inefficient, so I was wondering about using pgRouting for this instead.

Quick question: is pgRouting an *extension* to the standard OSM postgis DB, or entirely separate? In other words, if I wanted to do routing *and* make available a data API in which clients could query ways by type (tag), could I just use a pgrouting DB for this? Reason I ask is that there appears to be a 'ways' table to store way geometries in an osm2pgrouting database.

Thanks,
Nick